Many Rivers Family Violence Prevention Legal Service
The Many Rivers Family Violence Prevention & Legal Service has been operating in the Mid North Coast since 1998. It is funded by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet under the Indigenous Advancement Strategy.
The service provides culturally focused services aimed at providing legal advice and representation and continuing to support victims of family violence and sexual assault through the court system.
The Many Rivers Family Violence & Legal Service has been operating in Kempsey since 1998. It was the first such office in Australia and to date there are 31 Family Violence Prevention & Legal Service offices around Australia and are funded by the Attorney General’s Department.
- Go to court with you
- Help you get Court Orders (AVO’s) to protect you and your children
- Tell you about other services you may need e.g. Housing, Centrelink, Medical etc and help you contact those services
- Tell you about your right to claim Victims Compensation and hold frequent community education workshops
- Offer/refer to family mediation when appropriate
Who Can Use the Service
- Victims of family violence & sexual assault
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women & children
- Non-Aboriginal women with Aboriginal children
- Aboriginal men who are victims of violence
Visit the Many Rivers Family Violence Prevention & Legal Service for more information